Wednesday, July 29, 2009

I Married Myself

Lately Erik and I have been saying this to each other a lot:  "It's like I married myself!"  We keep thinking and saying the same thing at the same time.  Having a lot more similar opinions than we used to, etc.  But then he really started reading my mind, and now I am convinced that he has some sort of chip in my brain to control my thoughts, or know them before they come out of my mouth.  As we were both sitting at the kitchen table the other day, grumpy from basically being robbed by the Ford dealership for some really simple repairs, I started thinking that it would be really fun to draw an anchor tattoo on his arm with a ballpoint pen.  So I said, "Hey, want me to do something that would totally cheer you up?"  His response was, "By 'something that would totally cheer me up', do you really mean something that would be really fun for you, but would actually make me even more miserable?  
I had to admit, yes, that's exactly what I meant.  He said he could tell by the look in my eye, but I think it was the chip in my brain.  Then came the scary part: " What do you think I was going to do?"  "Well, by the way you're looking at that pen, and back at my arm, my guess would be that you want to draw something on me."  And so it has continued for the next few days.  He can tell me what I'm thinking, and especially knows if I'm annoyed even when I think I'm doing a really good job hiding it.  He can say what I'm about to say before I say it, or at the same time, or mouth the words silently as I'm saying them.  Our eight year anniversary is coming up, and I'm beginning to wonder if he has a secret plan to celebrate by making me into a remote controlled Stepford Wife kind of robot via some form of mind control.  It's either that, or we are just getting to know each other really, really well.
So, if I start wearing ultra-tight clothes, listening to Mike Savage, and washing the cars on an almost-daily basis, someone should come rescue me.  But for now, it's the most amazing thing in the world being married to my best friend.  It's like I married myself.

2 comments:

Leanne Barker said...

thats so funny Eva. I was just saying the other day to Matt how its funny that we have become so much alike!

Alyssa said...

This is so sweet. I love it.