Tuesday, May 27, 2008

The Way the Cookie Crumbles





There is a slow degradation of standards that tends to happen with parenting. I think the same thing happens with health food as happens with cleanliness standards. Or course you all know that when a baby is a newborn people usually sterilize everything, and then by the time the child is a toddler, you're claiming the ten second rule when their food falls on the ground. Just pick it up and blow on it, and it's good to go. Yeah, so the same goes with health food. I started off thinking that I was only going to feed my child the healthiest food in the world. But, that just isn't the most practical idea, especially when you are out and about, going to friends' houses, restaurants, and whatnot. Who want's to make a public scene of bargaining for your kid to eat three more bites of vegetables? Who wants to deprive their kid of ice cream when all the other kids are getting some? Not me. So, before I knew it a couple of days ago, I found myself squishing nacho cheese Doritos (at his request) between the halves of his peanut butter and jelly sandwich at Cisco's in downtown SLO. And, he liked it! And, I have to admit that if he had asked me for a hot fudge sundae, I would have been tempted to deliver it in exchange for a few non-whiny moments while Erik and I enjoyed our lunch on the sunny patio. So, I suppose it's all really a balancing act - at least that's how I choose to look at it. PB&J a la Doritos may not be the healthiest lunch ever, but he liked it, and the parents need it for "mental" health reasons. Works for me. :)

3 comments:

annie said...

Funny funny. That looks like a real expensive sandwich, too :)

Milk and Honey said...

So Michael is looking at that delicious sandwich and trying to convince me that it has to be the "best sandwich ever". Elliot is so lucky...

bj said...

I thought I already commented! I love this. so true! Mikayla is not even 1 yet and I just gave her some of my almond croissant. She loved it of course, and she also loves oatmeal with brown sugar and butter. oops. Other than that we try for organics. haha